Have you been wondering how to survive 2 weeks trip to another country with 9 people beside you? If you answered yes, I am gonna tell you how does it feel and how to prepare for it!
Where you want to go?
First, you need to start thinking to what country do you want to go. This really depends on you and your group preferences. We travelled through Czechia, Germany and Poland. If you are interested in visiting these countries, definitely keep on reading!
Plan the trip
You’ve already chosen your destination? Cool! Let’s start planning the whole experience.
How much money do I need?
Before you get started, make sure you have the estimation of money you are going to use during the trip.
- Food: Want to try out the local cuisine? Count with approximately 15€ for food per day, you can also do low budget 10€/day..
- Accommodation: Hostel? Couchsurfing? Airbnb? How much comfy you want to be? Anyways, you would need at least 20€/per night at any of those. I am not saying that there are not any cheaper exceptions though.
- Travelling: Travelling can be a bit more expensive, starting from 20€ up to 40€.
- Local transport: You can usually buy a day pass in the city covering buses, trams and metro for around 7€/day depending on the city you are at.
- Activities/Museum/Fun – Some of the activities in the cities, for the others count with 15€ per activity. Again, depending on the city. Choose wisely!
Looks like we have our basic budget, let’s get deeper into planning.
What I want to do?
Do you want to see the city from the tallest building or you want rather visit an interactive museum? Now we get into the fun part of the planning. Exciting!
When thinking about what you want to do in the city, think about what you like the most. Then think about the following:
- Exact time of the visit
- Duration of the visit
- Local transportation and the time it takes
- Will your fellow travellers be hungry after your activities?
If your answer to the last question is “yes”, then you should think about the place where you’ll have lunch. Important to remember: hungry people can get angry more easily!
Lunch should be, if possible, near by your activity place. Also, don’t forget to think about budget for your lunch.
This is how your plan should approximately look like
What to bring?
It’s very convenient to have a list of things you should bring before departing!
Don’t be too dependent on your phone!
Big, big, big mistake when it comes to navigation in the city is following your google maps. Often, when using google maps we got lost. That is exactly why we completely switched from digital devices to real paper map. Yeah, you should also get one. It is retro and cool! Most of all, you won’t get lost, I can guarantee you.
There will be times when you will be confused, frustrated and you won’t know what to do..
That’s totally fine! Leading the group, planning, keeping time, checking people can get you frustrated and confused sometimes. Don’t give up, take a break. If you don’t know something, ask the group for help!
You are the team!
If you happen to lead a group of people throughout the journey, always think about how they feel during your leading. Are they hungry? Thirsty? Do they need 10 minutes break? Do they know where are they going, when they should get on the tram and get off?
These are all important information you want to know, so observe your fellow travelers and make sure they are happy, safe & sound and enjoying your journey!