Students of 8th and 9th grades of Primary schools + students of Year 1 and Year 2 of Secondary schools
1st place: Patrícia Melová, Gymnázium Jana Matúška, Galanta – Read the Essay
2nd place: Viktoria Švecová, Gymnázium sv. Vincenta de Paul, Levice – Read the essay
3rd place: Anna Samseliová, Gymnázium bl. Biskupa Gojdiča, Prešov – Read the Essay
4th-6th place: Alexander Hrabovský, Evanjelické kolegiálne gymnázium, Prešov & Barbora Čierniková, SŠ Novohradská, Bratislava & Katarína Karovičová, 1. súkromné gymnázium v Bratislave, Bratislava
Students of Year 3 and Year 4 of Secondary schools
1st place: Zuna Hochelová, Gymnázium Grösslingova, Bratislava – Read the Essay
2nd place: Šimon Kéry, Gymnázium Jana Krála, Zlaté Moravce – Read the Essay
3rd place: Viktória Lešová, Gymnázium Ľ. Štúra, Michalovce – Read the Essay
3rd place: Alexandra Špániková, Gymnázium Veľká okružná, Žilina – Read the Essay
Anglophone students (students of bilingual secondary schools and students of any year who studied at English school abroad)
1st place: Adam Zoltán Anderko, Bilingválne gymnázium P.J.Šafárika, Rožňava – Read the Essay
2nd place: Lucia Dutková, Spojená škola Novohradská, Bratislava – Read the Essay
3rd place: Natália Martončíková, Evanjelické Gymnázium Jána Amosa Komenského, Košice – Read the Essay
3rd place: Sarah Krupšová, Evanjelické Gymnázium Jána Amosa Komenského, Košice – Read the Essay
Three months after the launch of the English Essay Writing Competition, LEAF Academy was delighted to invite the participants and their supporters to the award-giving ceremony, hosted by Andrea Pěchová, and Sofia Mardzinová, a teacher and a student of LEAF Academy. The live ceremony happened online on February 11, 2021. You can watch to speeches by the judges, getting to know the winners of each of the 3 categories, and enjoy the musical performances of the students from LEAF Academy. Watch this special event from the comfort of your home…
The LEAF Academy Essay Writing Competition is open to all Slovak students aged 14 to 19. The competition has been organized along with the Bridge – English Language Center, Martinus bookstore, The SCELT and The Slovak Spectator.
All the first three winning places in every category will be awarded by our prizes! The winners can look forward to:
- 3x Kindle e-book reader
- Book vouchers from Martinus
- Publishing of your essay in The Slovak Spectator online magazine
- Merch pack from LEAF Academy
- A book in English from Dan Brown and merch pack from The Bridge
All entries will be judged by an independent committee comprising representatives from the LEAF Academy and from the Bridge – English Language Center – Marcela Chábová, Anna Jančová, and Matthew Mcgeever. The jury will ensure that submitted essays are original works.
- Competition opened: October 16th, 2020
- Competition closed: December 16th, 2020
- Entrants were informed of the outcome: till the end of January 2021
- Prize-giving ceremony: February 11th, 2021
All students from Slovakia aged from 14 to 19 can apply to ENGLISH ESSAY COMPETITION.
Every student that would apply will be competing in one of the following categories:
- CATEGORY A: students of 8th and 9th grades of Primary schools + students of Year 1 and Year 2 of Secondary schools
- CATEGORY B:
students of Year 3 and Year 4 of Secondary schools
- CATEGORY C:
anglophone students (students of bilingual secondary schools and students of any year who studied at English school abroad)
- What does it mean to be cool in a modern world?
- What has influenced the course of your life the most and why?
- The year 2021: a time for action or panic?
- What is your understanding of freedom?
- Immigration is not a positive social phenomenon
- To ensure democracy, should voting be a requirement as it is in some other countries, such as Australia or Latin American countries?
- Does patriotism have a negative or positive influence on societies today?
- Does building walls help with solving the problems?
- The role of media in a democratic society
Essays should be submitted in accordance with the Essays Specifications.
An essay is one of the most common short formal pieces of writing that you can come across at school.
Watch the video (in Slovak) will help you to learn what are the most frequent mistakes while writing an essay, and how to avoid them.
DO YOU HAVE QUESTIONS? GET IN TOUCH WITH US 🙂
The contact person is Andrea Pěchová, tel. number +421 918 991 129, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
In order to support the administration of the competition, personal data in the scope of name, surname and email are collected and processed. For information on how we process and protect personal data please visit https://www.leaf.sk/ako-