The LEAF Academy Essay Writing Competition is open to all Slovak students aged 14 to 19. The competition has been organized along with the Bridge – English Language Center, Martinus bookstore, SCELT and The Slovak Spectator.
All the first three winning places in every category will be awarded by our prizes! The winners can look forward to:
- 3x Kindle e-book reader
- Book vouchers from Martinus
- Publishing of your essay in The Slovak Spectator online magazine
- Merch pack from LEAF Academy
- A book in English from Dan Brown and merch pack from The Bridge
All entries will be judged by an independent committee comprising representatives from the LEAF Academy and from the Bridge – English Language Center. The jury will ensure that submitted essays are original works.
- Competition opens: October 16th, 2020
- Competition closes: December 16th, 2020
- Entrants will be informed of the outcome: till the end of January 2021
- Prize-giving ceremony: between February 8th and 12th, 2021
If the situation allows, the ceremony and the winner’s announcement will be held on the premises of the LEAF Academy. During the covid-19 pandemic, we will be watching the hygienic situation in Slovakia and we will be following the regulations of the Ministry.
All students from Slovakia aged from 14 to 19 can apply to ENGLISH ESSAY COMPETITION.
Every student that would apply will be competing in one of the following categories:
- CATEGORY A: students of 8th and 9th grades of Primary schools + students of Year 1 and Year 2 of Secondary schools
- CATEGORY B:
students of Year 3 and Year 4 of Secondary schools
- CATEGORY C:
anglophone students (students of bilingual secondary schools and students of any year who studied at English school abroad)
- What does it mean to be cool in a modern world?
- What has influenced the course of your life the most and why?
- The year 2021: a time for action or panic?
- What is your understanding of freedom?
- Immigration is not a positive social phenomenon
- To ensure democracy, should voting be a requirement as it is in some other countries, such as Australia or Latin American countries?
- Does patriotism have a negative or positive influence on societies today?
- Does building walls help with solving the problems?
- The role of media in a democratic society
Essays should be submitted in accordance with the Essays Specifications.
An essay is one of the most common short formal pieces of writing that you can come across at school.
Watch the video (in Slovak) will help you to learn what are the most frequent mistakes while writing an essay, and how to avoid them.
HOW TO ENTER THE COMPETITION?
To enter the competition, send us your work to firstname.lastname@example.org before December 16th, 2020.
DO YOU HAVE QUESTIONS? GET IN TOUCH WITH US 🙂
The contact person is Andrea Pěchová, tel. number +421 918 991 129, email email@example.com.